This delicate bowl of stewed fruits, seeds and warming spices is very deceptive in its actual breakfast prowess. Can just stewed fruits and seeds fill you up enough for the morning? YES. THEY CAN.
An absolute great addition to your breakfast repertoire, this bowl of yummy goodness won’t disappoint. Brimming with vitamins and minerals, high in antioxidants and gut cleansing seeds, this breakfast is a must for anyone who wants to start their day healthy and clean, but not skim on the taste in any way. If you’re doing a cleanse, you can simply leave out the seeds and add more apples and bananas instead to bulk out the breakfast and not go hungry.
Feeling Vata: This is a great breakfast for you. Experiment with adding other sweet fruits that you like, such a mangos, or add soaked raisins and dates. You also do well by eating this breakfast as warm as possible. If you use nuts for sprinkling you do best with re-activated nuts (soaked then roasted).
Feeling Pitta: If you’re feeling very Pitta leave out the Banana (you can replace with Mango instead or simply omit). Chia can sometimes aggravate Pitta’s. If you feel that’s the case simply replace the chia seeds with more flax seeds. Topp your compote with soaked & roasted Almonds.
Feeling Kapha: Avoid the Banana and use fresh apples that have a nice astringent taste. Use more chia and less of the flax seeds. Experiment with extra warming spices such as ginger, allspice, anise. Avoid topping with nuts.
- 1 x thumb size fresh ginger root, chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 x Banana, chopped
- 1 x Apple or Pear (or both), chopped
- 1-2 figs (optional), chopped
- 1-2 handfulls of blueberries (I use wild ones from frozen)
- 1 x teaspoon sunflower seeds (soaked over night if possible but also works without)
- 1 x teaspoon pumpkin seeds (soaked over night if possible but also works without)
- 2 x teaspoon flax seeds (soaked overnight if possible)
- 2 x teaspoons chia seeds (soaked over night if possible)
- 1 x teaspoon cinnamon powder
- half a teaspoon cardamom powder
- Add a little water to the bottom of a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the chopped ginger and set heat setting to medium.
- Add all the chopped fruits and the frozen blueberries, leave heat on a medium, cover the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and until the fruits start to soften nicely.
- Add the lemon juice, and all the seeds (flax, chia, pupkin and sunflower), plus the cinnamon and cardamom, and stir everything in. Lower the heat slightly to a low simmer and continue to cook with the lid on for abother 8 - 10 minutes.
- If the mixture is bubbling too much when the lid is on, turn the heat a little bit lower. You want to stew the fruit mixture slowly and not over cook it.
- Cook like this until all the fruits are nicely cooked and the whole mixture has a nice and gooey consistency.
- Take the pot of the heat and let the mixture sit and cool down for about 8 minutes with the lid on.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, sprinkle with roasted nuts of your choice, and VOILA, your yummy breakfast compote is at the ready.