This creamy delicious tomato sauce has all the freshness of tomatoes and the added depth and flavour of sweet succulent dates. Great as a topping for a summer’s buddha bowl, on veggies when you’re doing a cleanse, or as a healthy ketchup alternative on home-made potatoe fries. Get stuck in!
Feeling Vata: this is a great sauce for you, enjoy as it is.
Feeling Pitta: Skip the onion if feeling too hot.
Feeling Kapha: Don’t use the full amount of dates, probably best with only 4-6. Add some cayenne pepper and more cinnamon to boost digestion. Go easy on the salt and skip or use very little of the oil.
- 4 medium, ripe tomatoes
- 6-10 dates, depending on how sweet you like it
- half a chopped red onion
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 x dash of cinnamon
- 1 x dash of ground cloves
- 1/4 cups of water (60ml)
- 1 teespoon coconut aminos (leave out if doing a cleanse)
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 and a half teaspoons of arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (leave out if doing a cleanse)
- Finely chop up dates, tomatoes, the onion and garlic.
- Heat up about one teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and then add the onion and garlic, fry lightly until the onion has gone transluscent (if you're on a detox or cleanse, leave out the oil and fry the onion in water instead).
- Then add the tomatoes, dates, ground cloves, cinnamon, water, lemon juice and the salt. Let the mixture come to a bubble, cover it with a lid and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Let it cook for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes add the mixture into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Optional: Pour the mixture back into your pan and mix with the arrowroot powder with about 1 tablespoon of cold water. Add powder mixture into your Date & Tomato Sauce and let it come to a bubble and the sauce thickens up lightly. Finished. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Alternatively you can make a raw sauce, by putting all ingredients (leave out the arrowroot powder and olive oil if you're doing a cleanse) and mix in a high speed blender.