This wonderfully well-spiced mango chutney will have you gagging for more! Use less spice and chillies if you’re feeling overly Pitta, and turn it more into a sweet mango chutney without the hotness. Plus this chutney is virtually fat-free, so goes well with any detox or cleanse diet, and can be thus enjoyed without the guilt!
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 x small yellow or red chilli pepper, minced
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 2 x tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- 1/4 red pepper flakes (optional, omit if Pitta for less heat)
- 1 x tablespoon curry powder
- 3 x cups chopped ripe mango
- 1/2 cup mango or orange juice (or use water and adjust sweetness later on)
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut sugar (or maple syrup, or adjust to taste or omit for a less sweet mango chutney)
- Pinch of sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon garam masala (optional)
- 1 x small apple,chopped
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add a bit of water t cover the bottom, then add red onion, chilli pepper, bell pepper (optional), ginger, red pepper flakes (optional), and curry powder. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and cover. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes. The mango and apple should be soft but not entirely puréed/mushy.
- Enjoy warm or let cool to room temperature before use. Enjoy on salads, buddha bowls, potatoes or as a nice side for any indian curry dish.
- Will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month.