This flavoursome dish is full of greeny goodness and is a nice alternative to a traditionally sweet breakfasts. It’s particularly great for Pitta’s as the greens in this bowl are very cooling and calming for hot natured Pitta’s. Plus quinoa is very alkalising and pacifies all the three doshas, winner!
- half a cucumber
- small bunch of kale (or choose another leafy green of your liking, such as spinach, chard, etc.)
- juice of half a lime
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, best soaked overnight
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup of water
- optional: roasted coconut flakes for topping
- Soak the quinoa overnight.
- Cook the quinoa in a heavy bottom pan with a bit of salt until soft and cooked (usually 15 to 20 minutes). Use 2 cups of water to 1 cup of quinoa.
- Chop the kale finely and steam lightly for about 10 minutes.
- Chop the cucumber in small pieces and steam very lightly for a few minutes. If you're really Pitta you can skip the steaming and just add the cucmber raw.
- Add cucumber and kale to a bowl and drizzle with the lime juice.
- Add and mix the cooked quinoa slowly into the kale and cucumber mix.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Optional: topp with with roasted coconut flakes and drizzle with a bit of olive oil (do this step only if you're not on a cleanse). Fresh avocado as a topping is also nice for Vata's and Pitta's. but skip for Kapha's.