This deliciously creamy white sauce is a total winner when you need something to top of your garden-veg, as a great alternative to mayonnaise, and simply a nice dip without any of the guilt. If on a cleanse, simply skip the olive-oil and make this a virtually fat-free dressing. Either or, this sauce will leave you longing for more.
Feeling Vata: add more lemon juice and salt. You can try experimenting with basil, coriander, dill, rosemary and thyme.
Feeling Pitta: leave out the garlic or just use half or less of a clove. You can use herbs such as coriander, dill, fennel, parsley, and tarragon.
Feeling Kapha: add more black pepper. Try experimenting with adding herbs such as thyme, rosemary, fennel, fennugreek, marjoram and tarragon.
- 1 x clove of garlic
- 1 x shallot, chopped
- 2 x teaspoons of olive oil (omit for a fat-free dressing)
- 1 x cup plant-milk alternative (I use oatly's organice oat milk)
- 1 x teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1/2 a teaspoon of stock-powder (ensure that you're stock powder is yeast free, and most importantly has no added fats such a hydrogenated vegetable oils, palm oils, etc. Be sure to also buy a brand that is free of maltodextrin, and any other natural or unnatual flavourings).
- 1 x teaspoon fresh dill
- 3/4 of a teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 x teaspoon coconut aminos (leave out if doing a cleanse)
- 1 x teaspoon arrowroot powder
- half a teaspoon of lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a high-speed blender, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the mixture to a heavy bottom sauce pan and heat lightly on the stove.
- Keep stirring the mixture and increase heat bit by bit for about 3-5 minutes until mixture thickens up nicely. If you don't reach a nice thickness after a while, simply add a bit more arrowroot powder and keep heating and stirring (don't bring to the boil though!)
- Take off the heat and let the sauce cool down.
- Once its cooled down a little have a try and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Let cool for at least an hour in the fridge, then serve!