This creamy delicious tomato sauce has all the freshness of tomatoes and the added depth and flavour of sweet succulent dates. Great as a topping for a summer’s buddha bowl, on veggies when you’re doing a cleanse, or as a healthy ketchup alternative on home-made potatoe fries. Get stuck in!
Feeling Vata: this is a great sauce for you, enjoy as it is.
Feeling Pitta: Skip the onion if feeling too hot.
Feeling Kapha: Don’t use the full amount of dates, probably best with only 4-6. Add some cayenne pepper and more cinnamon to boost digestion. Go easy on the salt and skip or use very little of the oil.
Gooey Tomato and Date Sauce
Gooey Tomato & Date Sauce
This creamy delicious tomato sauce has all the freshness of tomatoes and the added depth and flavour of sweet succulent dates. Great as a topping for a summer's buddha bowl, on veggies when you're doing a cleanse, or as a healthy ketchup alternative on home-made potatoe fries. Get stuck in!
- 4 medium, ripe tomatoes
- 6-10 dates, depending on how sweet you like it
- half a chopped red onion
- 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 x dash of cinnamon
- 1 x dash of ground cloves
- 1/4 cups of water (60ml)
- 1 teespoon coconut aminos (leave out if doing a cleanse)
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 and a half teaspoons of arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (leave out if doing a cleanse)
- Finely chop up dates, tomatoes, the onion and garlic.
- Heat up about one teaspoon of olive oil in a pan and then add the onion and garlic, fry lightly until the onion has gone transluscent (if you're on a detox or cleanse, leave out the oil and fry the onion in water instead).
- Then add the tomatoes, dates, ground cloves, cinnamon, water, lemon juice and the salt. Let the mixture come to a bubble, cover it with a lid and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Let it cook for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes add the mixture into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Optional: Pour the mixture back into your pan and mix with the arrowroot powder with about 1 tablespoon of cold water. Add powder mixture into your Date & Tomato Sauce and let it come to a bubble and the sauce thickens up lightly. Finished. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Alternatively you can make a raw sauce, by putting all ingredients (leave out the arrowroot powder and olive oil if you're doing a cleanse) and mix in a high speed blender.