Sometimes you just need something that satisfies you.
Something that is sweet, tasty, and if possible, has that gooey, tasty sensation to it.
Something that, when you put in your mouth, reminds you of autumn, of your mum’s home baked apple cake,
of gardens and of late summer blooms.
Something that when you eat it, gives you that warm fuzzy feeling,
that peaceful feeling that everything is ok.
And what better way to give into this craving, than with these pretty much guilt free, goeey apple and cinnamon cupcakes?!
Low in sugar, fat, gluten free and vegan, and plenty of apples for your 5 a day. What’s not to like?
Of course I have added plenty of spice again:
cardamom and cinnamon to help you stabilize your blood sugars, to calm you and to nourish you, every little ‘gooey’ bite at a time.
Gooey Apple and Cinnamon Cupcakes
Gooey Apple & Cinnamon Cupcakes
Delicious and gooey apple and cinnamon cupcakes, vegan & gluten free
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 oat milk ( or other plant milk of your choice)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinnegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend (I use Bob's red mill)
- 2 heaped tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 3 tbsp apple sauce home made or store bought
- 3 medium size apples, diced and cored
- 1 tbsp flax egg
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celsius .
- Make the flax egg: add 1 tablespoon flaxseeds to a small bowl and add 3 tbsp warm water. Mix well. Put to one side.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Once melted, mix the oil, the milk, the vinegar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, salt, ground almonds and apple sauce together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the flax egg and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well, adding a tiny splash more milk if it’s looking too dry.
- Add the apples and carefully stir in.
- Transfer the mixture between muffin cases in a muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until risen and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- The cupcakes should still have a very soft and gooey consistency. I usually eat one fresh and warm (mhmmm, so good) and place the rest in the fridge, they will harden a bit more and keep for up to a week.
Dust off the Cupcakes with some icing sugar or top with a nice vegan frosting.
Serving Size12 cupcakes
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 25mgSodium 19mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 4gSugar 24gProtein 1g
Please note that nutrition information is based on averages and can therefor not always be accurate.