Liver cleansing, gut healing, immune boosting and anti-bacterial! What’s not to like! Get stuck into this marvellous yummy soup. Eat it anytime of the year when you feel you want to eat something nourishing that also gives your body that extra ‘oompf’ to cleanse and heal.
Liver Cleansing Cabbage & Celery Soup
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- half a teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tsp aniseeds
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil (leave out if doing a cleanse, or onl consumer in evening)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- half head of one medium sized cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/3 of a fresh fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 litre of vegetable stock (ensure you're stock powder doesn't contain any extra added fats such as rapeseed, palm oil or sunflower, or flavourings or things like maltodextrin - stay away!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cocos aminos
- Grind the fennel seeds and aniseeds with a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large stock pot (of on cleanse leave out the oil, or onl use if this is your evening meal. Simply add a bit of water to the bottom of the pan instead.)
- Add the fresh ginger, garlic and turmeric. Mix well with the oil (or water if on a cleanse) and heat on low for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fennel and aniseeds, mix well with the ginger and garlic mix, and keep heating on low until the seeds become fragant (about 4 - 5 minutes).
- Add the cabbage, celery, fresh fennel and salt and mix in well with the spice and garlic mixture. Saute for 5 minutes, until veggies start to soften, stirring often.
- Add broth, cocos aminos and chicken to the pot and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until veggies are cooked to your liking (I simmer usually for 20-30 min).
- Give it a taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve! Voila!